Sprained Ankle Plainfield: Prevent and Cope with Ankle Injuries
A sprained ankle in Plainfield or anywhere else causes such pain and swelling that it effectively immobilizes you. You will go to great lengths to avoid an ankle injury, but sprains are sometimes unavoidable. Knowing when to suspect a sprained ankle and where to seek medical treatment will enable you to find comfort and ensure you can function in your day-to-day routines.
Common Causes of a Sprained Ankle
Ankle injuries include strains, fractures, and sprains. A sprain is specific, involving ligaments that connect to bones or other ligaments. There are a few common causes of ankle sprains.
- Rolling the ankle during a sporting event
- A bad step on uneven surfaces
- Awkward jump, landing, or fall
- Twisting the foot
- Someone steps on your foot or ankle
Prevention of a Sprained Ankle
You can strengthen your ankles and calf muscles to prevent injuries. There are a few ways to prevent sprains even from ordinary activities.
- Focus on conditioning your body before pushing the limits of your sport
- Wear appropriate shoes that provide support and protection
- Use medically fitted braces if necessary
Indications of an Ankle Sprain
You may have sprained your ankle if you hear a characteristic popping sound during a maneuver. Other signs are readily apparent.
- Ankle is unstable
- Painful to the touch
- Decreased range of motion
Get a Professional Consultation
If you suspect you have a sprained ankle in Plainfield or have medical questions or concerns, contact Suburban Foot & Ankle Associates for an appointment.