Pages Menu
Categories Menu

Posted by on Nov 30, 2021 in Lawyers and Law Firms |

A Denver Lawyer Can Petition the Court for Extended Child Support

A Denver Lawyer Can Petition the Court for Extended Child Support

In Colorado, child support payments usually end when the youngster turns 19. Under certain circumstances, the custodial parent can hire a child support lawyer in Denver to petition the court for an extension. Even if both parents agree that payments will continue, an attorney should be retained to document the agreement with the court.


A child support lawyer in Denver can ask the court for an extension until the young adult graduates from college or a technical school program. If this person had dropped out of high school but later returned, financial support might continue until one month after graduation. According to state law, payments would be required to end by the 21st birthday, even if this individual still has not graduated.


Often, the parent making support payments looks forward to the arrangement ending. After many years, those monthly checks can feel like a financial hardship. Especially if the parent has remarried and has more children now, finances may be tight. Some individuals experience a decrease in income, but the court often will not agree to lower support payments. This parent may fight a petition to extend the arrangement beyond the age of 19.

The Importance of Professional Representation

The custodial parent has the option of going to court pro se. This means self-representation without professional legal service. However, it can be difficult for someone without a legal background to convince a judge to extend support beyond what the law requires. To consult with a child support attorney, a parent may find contact details at